Fried Ice Cream Cake
1 (1.75 quart) container vanilla ice cream
3 cups crushed corn flakes, measure it AFTER they are crushed
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)
1 (8 oz) container whipped topping (COOL WHIP) thawed
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Take the ice cream out of your freezer and let it sit on counter for about 30 minutes (until softened.)
- Crush and measure out corn flakes.
- Add sugar and cinnamon to crushed corn flakes and stir or shake it up in a ziploc bag until thoroughly coated.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Once melted add the corn flake mixture.
- Stir constantly for about 4-5 minutes until lightly golden brown. Do not walk away and do not turn up the heat. You don’t want the sugar to burn.
- Take off heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine softened vanilla ice cream, whipped topping and vanilla extract.
- Use a large spoon and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Spread half of the cooled corn flake mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Just press down with your hand until it is evenly spread out.
- Then pour ice cream mixture over corn flake mixture.
- Spread out evenly.
- Finally, top with remaining corn flake mixture.
- Cover and pop into freezer for at least 4 hours to let it all set up.
this article and recipe adapted from this site